STEPHEN B. DORBOR,SR. (MSC. EXPLORATION GEOLOGY)
ELWA Rock Hill Community off International Airport Road,
Senior Exploration Geologist/Manager Mineral Exploration professional with many years of experience in Grass-root exploration to feasibility studies in West Africa and Central Africa. Expert in initiating and Managing multi-commodity exploration programs at varying stages in different environments; recruiting and developing effective team from individuals with different cultural backgrounds; working with local communities and Government functionaries for smooth, transparent and uninterrupted operations. Qualified as a Certified Environmental Evaluator; a hard core Manager and an Administrator.
Professional /Work Experience
Ministry of Lands, Mines & Energy April 2013 to present
Deputy Minister for Planning and Human Resource Development
Overseer of Mineral exploration right grants/ National Kimberley Process Focal Point
- Organize and coordinate Annual Work Programs for all six Departments within the Ministry of Lands, Mines and Energy. Identify Training needs for various Departments and seek training opportunities for deserving Ministry staff and Technical students, alike.
- As head of a technical vetting Committee, supervises the evaluation of applications filed to the Ministry for Mineral Reconnaissance and Exploration Permits and advise the Minister appropriately.
- As National Focal Point for the Kimberley Process Certification Scheme (KPCS), represents Liberia at KPCS Intersessional and Plenary meetings and supervises Government Diamond Office to ensure full compliance with the KP Scheme.
- Served as permanent Proxy for the Vice-Chair (2014); and proxy for the Chair Person (2015) of the Multi-Stakeholder Group (MSG), which serves as the Board of Directors for the Liberia Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (LEITI). In both capacities, regularly chairs MSG meetings and ensure that the LEITI Secretariat is given reasonable support to perform their official duties.
AUREUS MINING, BEA MOUNTAIN LICENSE June 2012 to March 2013
General Manager for Project Development Acting Country Manager
- Planned and coordinated Exploration programs and overall project activities to ensure project growth in the face of sound environmental standards and Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR).
- Worked closely with international Environmental grouping (Golder’s Associates) in developing a full ESIA report on the Bea Mountain “New Liberty” Gold Project. Also worked closely with International and local consultants to develop a Resettlement Action Plan (RAP) for the New Liberty Project impacted community of some 2000 villagers from two settlements using IFC and other international Standards.
- Carried out all administrative management of the Project’s national office in Monrovia ensuring standard financial management procedures were put into place.
AUREUS MINING, BEA MOUNTAIN LICENSE Jan 2012 to May 2012
Acting General Manager for Exploration
- Coordinated exploration activities across four prospects within the Bea Mountain 457km2 area. Design and manage feasibility and Brown field exploration drilling programmes; generated new targets through regional soil sampling programmes, trenching and green field exploration drilling. Coordinate the activities of 4 Senior and resource Geologist and several other project Geologists to ensure efficiency.
- Analyze all data emanating from 4 active prospects across the Bea Mountain Class A License and develop work plans for each project. Work closely with Laboratories processing project samples to ensure QAQC; occasionally demanding umpire lab analysis on selected samples.
- Plan and coordinated a vigorous soil sampling campaign that led to the definition of a 13km soil anomaly between Ndablama and Gondoja in Grand Cape Mount County.
- Run and manage a multi-rig surface drilling program to follow up targets generated from soil and Trenching programs. Create plan Maps and drill hole sections using Oasis Mortaj Target Software.
- Ensure occupational Health and Safety standards were well maintained
AUREUS MINING, BEA MOUNTAIN LICENSE April 2011 to December 2011
- Coordinated and managed brown field exploration near the Bea Mountain New Liberty project in Grand Cape Mount County, periodically conducting training programs for field assistants. Worked closely with ground geophysics team conducting Ground-mag and IP surveys.
- Closely monitor drilling programs at both New Liberty and Leopard Rock project sites; supervise and helped with core logging taking kin look at relations between gold zones and associated lithology, structures, and alteration packages in a bid to predict grades in advance of assay results.
- Closely worked with project-focused local communities to ensure smooth relationship and uninterrupted work programs in said communities.
AFRICAN AURA MINING, BEA MOUNTAIN LICENSE April 2009 to March 2011
- Planned and monitor diamond core drilling at both the New Liberty Gold Mine and Ndablama gold prospects in Grand Cape Mount County.
- Provided training for upcoming project Geologists in drill core log techniques and styles to ensure they pick up those aspects of geology that are relevant to assay result interpretation in relation to structures and alteration packages.
- Planned and coordinated grass root exploration on virgin grounds in a bid to generate new gold targets. Ensure field teams were up to the task in rudimentary soil sampling, trenching, and mapping exercise. Conducted detailed geologic mapping to trace ore shoot plunges for effective drill hole planning.
- Supervised exploration staff, both local and expatriate, ensured productivity and provided guidance and motivation as required. Train and develop national staff. Supervise technical consultants and contractors as well.
- Organized and provided logistical support for exploration and infill drilling as well as regional exploration work.
- Worked closely with local communities in identifying community priorities for minimum investment in a bid to share common interest with host communities.
MANO RIVER RESOURCES, KPO MOUNTAIN LICENSE April 2005 to December 2007
Senior Geologist (Project Leader)
- Conducted geologic mapping and delineated kimberlite pipes/ dykes for drilling in Weasua, Western Liberia.
- Planned and coordinated 3000m drill program for 4 individual kimberlite pipes; single-handedly logged all 3000m diamond drill cores; created sections from log.
- Planned and supervised 44 line-km loam grid and ground geophysics programme in the vicinity of kimberlite pipes near Weasua.
- Directed the 8000 tons of bulk sampling from 4 kimberlite pipes and 1 kimberlite dyke near Weasua.
- Supervise exploration staff, both local and expatriate, ensure productivity and provide guidance and motivation as required. Train and develop national staff. Supervise technical consultants and contractors as well.
- Have a safety oriented approach to work. Lead the teams to standards of mining industry best practice where safety is a shared value.
- Manage and run a staff and a camp of over 30 people, ensuring accommodation, food, fuel, and safety were well maintained and organized.
MANO RIVER RESOURCES, BHP BILLITON JV April 2004 to March 2005
Senior Geologist (Project Leader)
- Designed, implemented and interpreted approved exploration programs. Ran stream sampling programs; executed follow-up programs leading to pitting and delineation of kimberlite dykes near Tongo Fields, Eastern Sierra Leone.
- Underwent intense occupational Health and safety training designed to meet up with BHP-Billiton standards.
- Underwent 3 weeks training and acquired Certificate for basic First Aid Methods from the Sierra Leone Red Cross.
- Served as Team Leader for one of four teams conducting regional stream sampling in four administrative districts in Eastern and Southern Sierra Leone.
GONDWANA SA (A SUBSIDIARY OF DIAMOND FIELDS INTERNATIONAL), October 2003 to March 2004
Project Geologist (Project Leader)
- Designed and led an independent team in conducting regional stream sampling for kimberlitic indicator minerals (KIMs) for diamond prospects across Northern and Eastern Sierra Leone.
- Established and maintained strong relations with both local Government officials and local communities associated within the company’s license area.
MOTAPA DIAMONDS, SOUTH AFRICA (WITH MINERAL SERVICES, SA AS IMPLEMENTING AGENT) June 2003 to September 2003
Project Geologist (Project Leader)
- Designed and led an independent team in conducting regional stream sampling for kimberlitic indicator minerals (KIMs) for diamond prospects across the Franceville Basin in Southeastern Gabon, Central Africa.
- Ensured occupational health and safety standards served as hallmark especially when out in the formidable, sparsely populated forest where the team went for weeks without encountering settlements for guidance.
- Exercised French as second languish in directing French speaking field teams that had no foundation in English.
GOLDEN LEO (A SUBSIDIARY OF MANO RIVER RESOURCES) February 2002 to April 2002
- Designed, implemented and interpreted approved exploration programs. Ran and managed stream sampling programs in both the diamond rich districts of Kono and Kenema District.
- Executed follow-up stream sampling programs that led to pitting and discoveries of unknown kimberlite pipes in Kono and Tongo Fields as well as discovered lateral extensions of known dykes.
- Executed soil grid over KIMs anomalies in Northern Kambia District in Sierra Leone.
GONDWANA SA (A SUBSIDIARY OF DIAMOND FIELDS INTERNATIONAL), August 2001 to January 2002
Project Geologist (Project Leader)
- Designed and led an independent team in conducting regional stream sampling for kimberlitic indicator minerals (KIMs) for diamond prospects across Eastern and Southern Sierra Leone. • Established and maintained strong relations with both local Government officials and local communities associated with the company’s license area.
- Captured all data in excel database and generated target maps using ArcMap softwares
MANO RIVER RESOURCES October 1997 to June 2001
- Conducted geologic mapping under the supervision of a Senior Geologist in both Eastern and Western Liberia.
- Participated in generating drilling targets in Larjor/Kinjor, Weaju, Gondoja, all in Western Liberia.
- Identified potential grounds and conducted soil grid mapping to delineate additional gold targets closed to the above targets.
- Planned and implemented trenching programs including trench mapping and associated data analysis.
- Helped trained up field assistants in basic mapping techniques.
- Participated in diamond drilling programs in Larjor/Kinjor, Weaju, and Gondoja. Played active role in drill hole logging, core cutting and performing QAQC on samples submitted to Lab systems and assays thereof.
- Provided logistical support to both local and international staffs during drilling programmes
Main Stream Education:
- RHODES UNIVERSITY, GRAHAMSTOWN South Africa Master of Science in EXPLORATION GEOLOGY (MSc), April 2009
- UNIVERSITY OF LIBERIA, MONROVIA LIBERIA Bachelor of Science in Geology (BSc), February 1990
OTHER TRAINING/ PROFESSIONAL UNDERTAKINGS
- Guest Trainer - Vrije University (VU), Amsterdam- guest participant in the Ardennes field course for B.Sc. Earth Science Freshmen---- Sept 26 -Oct 3, 2009 NETHERLANDS
- Trainee- Mineral Services, CT, South Africa, Course on Kimberlites, Diamonds, & Upper Mantle- Indaba 2007 Post-Conference — Feb. 12-15 2007 SOUTH AFRICA
- Trainee- Environmental Protection Agency/ environmental Management Compliance Group LLC Environmental Evaluator Training & Licensure- Monrovia- CERTIFICATE (LICENSE)- May 21- 30 2007 LIBERIA
- Trainee-- bhp-Billiton qualified person- A week long workshop on health and safety standards- Kenema CERTIFICATE- April 2004- SIERRA LEONE
- Trainee-- the Sierra Leone Red Cross Society- - 2 week long intensive training in First-Aid administration Freetown- CERTIFICATE- February 2003- SIERRA LEONE